Emerson AMS TREX Communicator
Order #: TREX
Problems with Foundation Fieldbus and HART devices can be diagnosed in the field while the devices are still installed. Simple issues can be addressed on the spot, avoiding unnecessary, and potentially destructive, invasive physical investigation of the problem.
Emerson TREX Highlights
- Commission and validate devices faster
- Quickly fix issues in the field with advanced device diagnostics
- Configure and test valves inline
- Improve efficiency with a modern, intuitive user interface
- Intrinsically safe; usable anywhere you need to go
Each TREX Includes
- AC Adapter
- USB Cable
- Lead Set with connectors
- Hand Strap
- Quick Start Guide and Resource DVD
- ValveLink Mobile application available at no charge once Trex unit is activated
Emerson AMS Trex Device Communicator Features
A Rugged and Reliable Device Communicator
For a communicator to be useful in the field, it must be built to last and ready for anything. The Trex communicator is designed to withstand the harsh conditions in and around manufacturing facilities. The rugged device is easy to hold, yet designed to take the bumps and drops that come from normal use in the plant. In addition, the Trex communicator is protected against moisture and extreme temperatures, allowing you to work regardless of environmental conditions. The sturdy exterior is designed in accordance with Intrinsic Safety standards to limit the buildup of static electrical energy. Unlike consumer-grade mobile devices, the Trex communicator will withstand the abuse of a harsh field environment.
Designed based on user feedback and with field use in mind, the carrying case features an access window that allows you to use the communicator and contains pockets large enough to carry the charger, extra lead sets, or other tools you may need in the field.
Touchscreen Display for the Field
The Trex communicator features a 5.7” resistive touchscreen display for easy use with bulky work gloves. The adjustable backlit screen can be easily changed to save power or adapt to dark environments or bright sunlight, ensuring a crisp display that can always be read - no matter the external conditions.
Software and Application Upgrades
The Trex communicator includes Upgrade Studio, a PC application to help keep the Trex unit up-to-date with new software and apps. Upgrade Studio can even connect to multiple devices at once, allowing you to simultaneously upgrade and perform installs on your entire fleets of AMS Trex Device Communicators.
With Upgrade Studio, add critical diagnostic tools to your toolkit and push them out to any number of Trex communicators. With multiple apps available and many more in development, Upgrade Studio will make the Trex communicator your go-anywhere, do-anything device:
- Field Communicator – The Field Communicator app delivers a wide range of options for configuring and troubleshooting HART and Foundation Fieldbus devices.
- Loop Diagnostics – With the Loop Diagnostic app, you can power the loop in the field and also perform loop troubleshooting and checkouts. The app helps with loop characteristic validation and lets you isolate and troubleshoot wiring issues.
- Fieldbus Diagnostics – The Fieldbus Diagnostics app gives you the necessary toolset for troubleshooting and validating Foundation Fieldbus segments.
- Valvelink Mobile – With Valvelink Mobile, you can analyze and review valve assembly condition and performance without affecting the process. Configuration and troubleshooting of digital valve controllers has never been more efficient.
- Trex Help – The Trex Help app offers a searchable help guide, putting key information on operation and troubleshooting at your fingertips.
Engineered with You in Mind
Designed for comfortable, one-handed, all-day operation in the field, the Trex communicator is packaged in an evenly-balanced form factor with a rugged hand strap so you can easily hold it, even when working in tight spaces. It comes standard with 32 GB of application memory, providing plenty of space to customize it with the apps of your choice. With built-in Bluetooth, USB, and WiFi connectivity, you can move data to and from the communicator using the connectivity option that is most convenient. With numerous communication options, your communicator has never been more connected.
The communicator’s robust lithium-ion power module will keep it running for hours, well over a full shift, even when it is being used to power other devices in the field.
Intrinsic Safety to Follow You Anywhere
The Trex communicator is built to go wherever you may need to be. Unlike consumer mobile devices that cannot be taken into hazardous areas without shutting down the process or pulling a hot work permit, the Trex unit meets global Intrinsic Safety requirements:
- CSA (US/Canada)
Gain freedom and flexibility with a communicator that can go anywhere you need to, when you need to, without worrying if the device will put you at risk.
Power the Loop
The Trex communicator includes built-in functionality to power a device. Simply connect the communicator to an instrument to power it. Technicians no longer waste time rounding up a power supply or confirming adequate loop resistance before testing, speeding configuration on the bench.
Power the loop functionality allows device configuration in the field on new projects—even before power and I/O infrastructure are in place. Transmitter configuration no longer needs to be the last step of new projects. Configure transmitters before the host system, wiring, piping, and other project elements arrive, keeping transmitter configuration from being a critical path item, allowing more flexibility in new project scheduling and leading to faster startups.
Powering devices from the communicator allows you to isolate the device from the rest of the system, helping you identify installation problems like power supply, wiring, I/O card, and configuration issues.
Powerful Valve Diagnostics
Valve problems are particularly costly to diagnose and repair. Field technicians are often required to pull a valve to investigate a problem, and removing valves for inspection usually means shutting down the process. Further complicating troubleshooting, technicians often need to disassemble the valve to determine the root cause of the problem. This frequently leads to further damage to the valve, ending in a more time consuming and expensive repair.
Using the ValveLink Mobile app on the Trex unit, you can perform valve diagnostics in the field, including valve signature, dynamic error band, PD one button sweep, and step response, without having to pull the valve or perform invasive troubleshooting steps. ValveLink Mobile works with HART and Foundation Fieldbus Fisher® FIELDVUE™ digital valve controllers and provides an intuitive user interface that is easy to understand and use. The large touchscreen on the Trex communicator makes it easier than ever to see all valve diagnostic details.
Diagnose Communication Problems
The Trex communicator can configure and troubleshoot Foundation Fieldbus devices and segments in your plant. Use the communicator to create a quality segment by diagnosing the network DC voltage and average noise. Detect power supply problems using the communicator’s power the loop functionality or by monitoring low frequency noise on a segment.
You can also verify whether the DC voltage is correct in HART loops.
What is the default level of support for Trex units?
A support option must be included with every unit sale. Standard Support is the default option, which provides a limited warranty to cover the Trex unit against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and care. Support also includes access to the Global Service Center (GSC) phone support, firmware updates and automated Device Driver (DD) updates.
Does the customer have the option to sign up for multi-year Standard Support?
Customers have the option to buy three-year standard support, which will provide customers access to GSC phone support, firmware updates and automated DD updates. Note that addition standard support does not extend hardware warranty.
How can the Trex unit be protected against accidental damage?
Customers may purchase either one-year or three-year Premium Support that will include accidental damage support.
What is the coverage of the accidental damage?
- The following items are covered:
- Liquid spilled on or in unit
- Drops, falls, and other collisions
- Damage caused by electrical surge
- Damaged or broken LCD due to a drop or fall
- Blown fuse in ammeter
- The following items are NOT covered:
- Intentional damage (such as hammer marks)
- Normal wear
- Cosmetic damage
Details of accidental damage must be provided with trouble call.
How many times can one unit be fixed under “accidental damage” per year?
Only one incident in a given 12-month period is allowed per unit under Premium Support.
Can a customer upgrade Trex support from Standard to Premium?
Yes, if a customer signed up for Standard Support, they will have the option to upgrade to Premium Support upon inspection by a primary service center.
Can a customer renew Premium Support on a Trex unit?
Yes, if a customer signed up for Premium Support, they have the option to renew it for additional years.
Standard Support can be purchased at any time.
Premium Support can be initially be purchased with new units only.
Both Standard Support and Premium Support can be renewed after support expires.
- Emerson TREX-FFPA-0001Power Plug for Foundation Fieldbus
Order #: TREX-FFPA-0001
Mfg #: TREX-FFPA-0001Availability: Item ships in about Ships in 2-3 weeksSpecial Price $102.00 Regular Price $105.00
- Emerson TREX-PMDC-1211Device Communicator HART/FF Module
Order #: TREX-PMDC-1211
Mfg #: TREX-PMDC-1211Availability: Item ships in about Ships in 2-3 weeksSpecial Price $1,839.00 Regular Price $1,895.00
- Emerson TREX-PMDC-3611Device Communicator HART/FF Module w/ 3 Year Support
Order #: TREX-PMDC-3611
Mfg #: TREX-PMDC-3611Availability: Item ships in about Ships in 2-3 weeksSpecial Price $2,775.00 Regular Price $2,860.00
- Emerson TREX-SUST-1211TREX Standard Support Renewal, 1 Year
Order #: TREX-SUST-1211
Mfg #: TREX-SUST-1211Availability:Out of stockSpecial Price $291.00 Regular Price $300.00
- Emerson TREX-0004-0001Lead Set with Connectors for TREX
Order #: TREX-0004-0001
Mfg #: TREX-0004-0001Availability:Out of stockSpecial Price $106.00 Regular Price $109.00
- Emerson TREX-0005-0002TREX Hand Strap, Replacement Set of Two
Order #: TREX-0005-0002
Mfg #: TREX-0005-0002Availability: Item ships in about Ships in 2-3 weeksSpecial Price $72.00 Regular Price $74.00
|Processor, Memory, and Operating System|
|Microprocessor||800 MHz ARM Cortex A8 / NXP|
|Memory Internal Flash||2 GB NAND and 32 GB extended flash|
|Operating System||Windows Embedded Compact 2013|
|RAM||512 MB DDR3 SDRAM|
|Weight||Approximately 2.9 lbs (1330 grams)|
|Display||5.7 inch (14.5 cm) color VGA resistive touchscreen|
|Keypad||X button – similar to a Back key|
|Power Supply / Charger|
|Battery||Rechargeable Lithium-Ion power module|
|Battery Operating Time||8+ hours of typical use|
|Charge Time||3 to 4 hours|
|LEDs||6 LEDs. Five LEDs for indicating the progress of charging. One LED to indicate the AC adapter is charging the power module.|
|Battery Charger Options||Input voltage 90-264 VAC, 47-63 Hz|
|Cables included with U.S., Europe, and U.K. plugs|
|USB||Micro USB Connector. USB 2.0
Remove the USB cable from the Trex unit before connecting to a device.
|Battery Charger||Barrel Round Plug Tip|
|Wireless Approvals||FCC, CE, RED and IC Approvals, Certified for use in over 100 countries|
|Bluetooth||2.1, Range up to 10 m|
|Wi-Fi||802.11 b/g, Range up to 33 m|
|NFC||Active NFC, Range up to 20 cm|
|Device Communicator Communication Module||HART terminal Enables HART device communication
Connectors: Two Banana Jack Plugs
Optional Internal Resistor: 250 or 500 Ohm
|Fieldbus (FF) terminal||Foundation Fieldbus device communication
Connectors: Two Banana Jack Plugs
|Device Communicator Plus Communication Module||HART terminal, Enables HART device communication|
|HART + power terminal||Enables HART communication with the Trex unit, and provides power to one HART device in a bench setup.
Connectors: Two Banana Jack Plugs Includes HART power supply, resistors (167 Ohm), current control, and ammeter. Current Range: 3 -22.5 mA
|mA terminal (external ammeter)||Measures current on a 4-20 mA current loop.Connectors: Two Banana Jack Plugs. Current Range: Up to 22.5 mA. Resolution: 0.1 mA||Fieldbus (FF) terminal||Enables Foundation Fieldbus device communication. Connectors: Two Banana Jack Plugs||FF + FF power terminal||Provides power to one Foundation Fieldbus device in a bench setup. Connector: One Banana Jack Plug (Power conditioner included). Current Range: 0- 38 mA|
|Usage||-20°C to +55°C (-4°F to 131°F). For IS approval: -20°C to +50°C (-4°F to 122°F)|
|Charge||+10°C to +45°C (50°F to 113°F)|
|Storage with power module||-20°C to +50°C (-4°F to 122°F) (less than 1 month)|
|Storage without power module||-20°C to +60°C (-4 °F to 140°F)|
|Shock||The unit shall survive a 1-meter, all sides and corners drop test onto concrete.|
|Upgrade Studio Requirements|
|Installation||Windows 7 Professional Service Pack (SP1) 1 (32 and 64-bit)
Windows 10 Professional
512 MB of free disk space
A Windows user account with Administrator privileges
- Emerson TREXCFPKL9P1Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, IS, 1Yr Premium SupptSpecial Price $9,425.00 Regular Price $9,716.00
- Emerson TREXCFPKL9S1Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, IS, 1 Yr Std SupportSpecial Price $8,766.00 Regular Price $9,037.00
- Emerson TREXCFPNAWP1Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, Wireless, 1 Yr PremSpecial Price $8,775.00 Regular Price $9,046.00
- Emerson TREXCHPKL9P3Device Communicator w/HART, IS, 3 Yr Premium SupportSpecial Price $9,040.00 Regular Price $9,319.00
- Emerson TREXCHPKLWS3Device Communicator w/HART, IS, Wireless, 3 Yr Standard SupporSpecial Price $7,222.00 Regular Price $7,445.00
- Emerson TREXCHPKL9S3Device Communicator w/HART, IS, 3 Yr Standard SupportSpecial Price $7,222.00 Regular Price $7,445.00
- Emerson TREXCFPKLWP1Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, IS, Wireless,1Yr PremSpecial Price $9,425.00 Regular Price $9,716.00
- Emerson TREXCHPKLWP1Device Communicator w/HART, IS, Wireless, 1 Yr Premium SupportSpecial Price $7,335.00 Regular Price $7,561.00
- Emerson TREXCHPKLWP3Device Communicator w/HART, IS, Wireless, 3 Yr Premium SupportSpecial Price $9,040.00 Regular Price $9,319.00
- Emerson TREXCFPKLWS1Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, IS, Wireless, 1Yr StdSpecial Price $8,766.00 Regular Price $9,037.00
- Emerson TREXCFPNAWS1Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, Wireless, 1 Yr StdSpecial Price $8,116.00 Regular Price $8,367.00
- Emerson TREXCFPKLWS3Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, IS, Wireless, 3Yr StdSpecial Price $9,312.00 Regular Price $9,600.00
- Emerson TREXCHPKL9S1Device Communicator w/HART, IS, 1 Yr Standard SupportSpecial Price $6,676.00 Regular Price $6,882.00
- Emerson TREXCHPKL9P1Device Communicator w/HART, IS, 1 Yr Premium SupportSpecial Price $7,335.00 Regular Price $7,561.00
- Emerson TREXCHPKLWS1Device CD3:D62ommunicator w/HAR Wireless, 1 Yr Standard SupporSpecial Price $6,676.00 Regular Price $6,882.00
- Emerson TREXCFPKL9S3Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, IS, 3 Yr Std SupportSpecial Price $9,312.00 Regular Price $9,600.00
- Emerson TREXCFPNAWS3Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, Wireless, 3 Yr StdSpecial Price $8,663.00 Regular Price $8,930.00
- Emerson TREXCFPKL9P3Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, IS, 3Yr Premium SupptSpecial Price $11,130.00 Regular Price $11,474.00
- Emerson TREXCFPNAWP3Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, Wireless, 3 Yr PremSpecial Price $10,480.00 Regular Price $10,804.00
- Emerson TREXCFPKLWP3Device Communicator w/HART & Fieldbus, IS, Wireless,3Yr PremSpecial Price $11,130.00 Regular Price $11,474.00