Order #: 438-II
Mfg #: 4778976
Only need this item for a short time?
The ideal portable motor analysis test tool, the 438-II can help locate, predict, prevent, and troubleshoot power quality problems in three-phase and single-phase power distribution systems, while giving technicians the mechanical and electrical information they need to effectively evaluate motor performance.
- Measure key parameters on direct-on-line motors including torque, RPM, mechanical power and motor efficiency.
- Perform dynamic motor analysis by plotting of motor de-rating factor against load according to NEMA guidelines.
- Calculate mechanical power and efficiency without the need of mechanical sensors, just connect to the input conductors and you're ready to go.
- Measure electrical power parameters such as voltage, current, power, apparent power, power factor, harmonic distortion and unbalance to identify characteristics that impact motor efficiency
- Identify power quality issues such as dips, swells, transients, harmonics and unbalance.
- PowerWave data technology captures fast RMS data, and shows half-cycle averages and waveforms to characterize electrical system dynamics (generator start-ups, UPS switching etc.).
- Waveform capture function captures 100/120 cycles (50/60 Hz) of each event detected event, in all modes, without set-up.
- Automatic transient mode captures waveform data at 200 kS/s on all phases simultaneously up to 6 kV.
Each Unit Includes
- 4 x 6,000 flexi probes
- voltage lead set
- FC WiFi SD card
- carrying case
Fluke 438-II mechanical metering functions
Calculates the amount of rotational force (displayed in lb.ft or Nm) developed by a motor and transmitted to a driven mechanical load. The motor torque is the single most critical variable that characterizes the instantaneous mechanical performance of rotating equipment driven by electric motors.
Provides the instantaneous motor shaft rotational speed. Combined with the motor torque, motor speed provides a snapshot of the mechanical performance of rotating equipment driven by electric motors.
Motor mechanical load
Measures the actual mechanical power (displayed in hp or kW) produced by motors and provides a direct link to overloading conditions without simply basing it on the motor current.
Shows the effectiveness of each motor within a machine, assembly line, plant, and/or facility in converting electric power to useful mechanical work. By properly aggregating the efficiencies of a population of motors the total (aggregate) efficiency can be estimated. Comparisons to expected motor efficiencies at observed operating conditions can help quantify the cost associated with motor energy inefficiency.
How it works
Using proprietary algorithms, the Fluke 438-II Power Quality and Motor Analyzer uses threephase current and voltage waveforms to calculate motor torque, speed, load and efficiency at a 1 second update rate. The motor air gap field, as observed via the voltage/current waveforms, provides the basis for the measurements. Mechanical sensors and intrusive no-load motor testing is not required, making it faster than ever to analyze overall electric motor performance.
Electrical motor analysis
The Fluke 438-II provides a complete breakdown of electrical parameters. Prior to beginning motor analysis, it's recommended to make base line power quality measurements to assess the state of harmonics and unbalance on the electrical service output as these two properties can have a serious negative impact, on motor performance.
When in Motor Analysis mode, results are summarized for electrical performance, mechanical performance and derating (according to NEMA recommendations).
The easy to understand four-level color severity scale indicates motor performance in relation to the recommended electrical parameter levels including rated power, power factor, unbalance and harmonics.
For mechanical power you can instantly view the mechanical output power along with motor torque and speed. The mechanical output power is instantly compared with electrical power to provide you with live efficiency measurements. With this feature you can easily measure machine performance during each operation cycle.
The NEMA derating screen is updated as the load and the electrical conditions change, and each new measurement is plotted on the tolerance graph as a "+". In this example we can see that motor is within tolerance but is close to the service factor. This indicates that there may be a need for power quality mitigation, motor maintenance or some other performance improving adjustment. By frequently performing these tests over time, known benchmarks and performance trends can be created, enabling informed maintenance investment decisions.
- Fluke BP291Li-ion Battery Pack for ScopeMeter 190 Series II
Order #: BP291
Mfg #: 3894688Availability:Out of stockSpecial Price $332.99 Regular Price $369.99
- Fluke I5SPQ35A AC Current Probe for 430 3 pk
Order #: I5SPQ3
Mfg #: 2457508Availability: Item ships in about 2-3 Weeks$1,349.99
- Fluke HH290Hanging Hook for 190 SeriesII Scopemeter
Order #: HH290
Mfg #: HH290Availability: Item ships in about 2-3 WeeksSpecial Price $85.49 Regular Price $94.99
- Fluke AC285SureGrip Alligator Clips
Order #: AC285
Mfg #: 1610159Availability:Out of stockSpecial Price $26.09 Regular Price $28.99
- Fluke C437-IIHard Case for 430 Series II w/Rollers
Order #: C437-II
Mfg #: 4116743Availability: Item ships in about 2-3 WeeksSpecial Price $674.99 Regular Price $749.99
- Fluke I430-FLEXI-TFII-4P6000A Thin Flexi, 24" (61cm) 4-Pack
Order #: I430-FLEXI-TFII-4P
Mfg #: I430-FLEXI-TFII-4PAvailability: Item ships in about 2-3 Weeks$1,499.99
- Fluke TLS430Test Leads and Alligator Clips (4 black, 1 green)
Order #: TLS430
Mfg #: 2157713Availability: Item ships in about Ships in 2-3 weeksSpecial Price $125.99 Regular Price $139.99
- Fluke FC-SD 8GBFluke Connect Wireless SD Card
Order #: FC-SD-CARD
Mfg #: 4463628Availability:Out of stockSpecial Price $98.99 Regular Price $109.99
- Fluke EBC290External Battery Charger for BP290 or BC291 Series LI-ion
Order #: EBC290
Mfg #: 3894906Availability: Item ships in about 2-3 WeeksSpecial Price $124.19 Regular Price $137.99
- Fluke I400SAC Current Clamp
Order #: I400S
Mfg #: 2277202Availability: Item ships in about 2-3 WeeksSpecial Price $269.99 Regular Price $299.99